Freitag, 24. Oktober 2008

Laptop Lock!

So, if you've seen the pictures of the FU Philological library, you know it's a pretty cool place to study.



Unfortunately, due to one of the many weird regulations that form the warp and woof of Berlin life, one can bring neither a coat nor a bag into the library.

Well, that's not true. One can bring a bag made of transparent plastic into the library. Evidently it's a bigger priority to make sure no one steals the precious books than it is to make sure the library is a quiet place for reflection and contemplation. Because cellophane is not quiet.

One of the many problems with this policy of treating every student like a potential book-thief and/or copyright violator is that when all the lockers are used up, one cannot go into the library, even if one just wants to grab a book or sit in one of the many available places to use one's laptop.

But what really bothers me is that, once inside the library, I cannot go anywhere without carrying my laptop in my arms.



As everyone knows, the more time something spends in your hands, the more likely you are to drop it. Unfortunately, as everyone who has ever left all his personal belongings in an unlocked bus station locker in Portland, Oregon knows, the more time something spends out of your hands, the more likely it is to be stolen.

But that is not a problem for me any longer, because this morning I got up and found in my mailbox a laptop lock!



No more carrying around my laptop while I go look for a book or refill my water bottle! Thanks, Dad! I was hoping adding a link to my Amazon Wish List would pay off!

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen